Tuesday, October 22, 2013

ChemoDay#2 - round#4

Time in 'the chair' on Tuesday's is a few hours, but less than yesterday.

Not much to report today other than standard day#2 routine.

1.  Go in for 'vitals' check and the regular gal is still gone today so it's a guy as her replacement, but he's even less talkative than the gal from yesterday. Later on another patient came into the infusion room and his wife, after asking one of the chemo nurses why regular vitals gal isn't here today, then says, "Well, he needs to work on his people skills!" That left me chuckling knowing exactly what she meant.

2.  Find my chair and chemo nurse connects a syringe to my port, suctions it just a little bit which draws up some blood and confirms the connection to port (and vein) is still good.

3.  Benedryl is started and takes about 20 minutes to complete.

This is my view today. 
The lady in the bright colored shirt is wife of a patient.

4.  The 2nd small-bag IV is started and is done in about 20 minutes.

5.  Bendamustine is started and takes about an hour to complete.

6.  Next is a flush of saline solution with Heparin in it that's administered via syringe (right) into the port via the catheter line. Heparin is an anti-coagulant and this is done to prevent my Port from getting plugged up with clots.

7.  The Huber needle is removed from the Port and a small bandage placed over the skin, mostly to protect my clothes from the drop or two of blood that escapes with the needle.

8.  I'm free! Well, free to leave and do other stuff.

I might as well take a minute here and show this diagram below as I've mentioned the 'ole Huber Needle several times yesterday and today. Of course it all makes sense to me but I'll try and explain if it will help (until I can get pictures) or you can check this post "Get the Popcorn" and check out the video there. Anyway, the Huber-point Needle is inserted into the Port, which is just underneath my skin. The Catheter Line continues to the Connector and it's the connector that is hooked up to the IV's, or the syringes, which fit into the connector. The Clip is used to pinch off the catheter line to prevent fluids from going through it when needed or allow fluids to go through when necessary.

Oh, wait. I don't need to get a picture.
This picture from my first treatment.
The white circular piece holds the Huber-point Needle.
The yellow piece is the Clip.
The Connector is out of frame so maybe I do need a new picture.



note:  all comments are moderated and will not show up immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment