Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Chemo Class

Yup, this list (lifted from the internet) about covers what was discussed in more detail during my Chemo Class. I'm guessing this is pretty standard stuff for all chemotherapy patients. It's a personalized class just for me. My two sisters and mother attended. Mom won't remember much of what was said, but she might remember being there, and does need to feel she's included.

Chemotherapy Classes

Our chemotherapy classes are designed for patients beginning chemotherapy and their caregivers. Our goal is to provide the information necessary to understand how chemotherapy affects the body and to assist in understanding how to manage the side effects that can accompany chemotherapy treatment.
 Chemotherapy classes are taught by [...].  These classes are general teaching sessions that are designed to help patients and support persons learn about chemotherapy treatment and how to manage potential side effects that can be associated with chemotherapy treatment.  Topics that will be covered in class include:

•  Preparing for your treatment day
•  Blood counts
•  Infection
•  Anemia
•  Bleeding
•  Fatigue
•  Nutrition during treatment
•  Appetite changes
•  Nausea and vomiting
•  Mouth and throat changes
•  Constipation
•  Diarrhea
•  Hair loss
•  Skin and nail changes
•  Reproductive and sexual changes
•  Nervous system changes
Although I met nurse Lisa yesterday, it is nurse Debbie conducting my class today. The 'class' lasted about 90 minutes and was chock full of information. On our way to the conference room the nurse showed us the infusion room. Lot's of uncomfortable looking chairs with IV poles next to them. A wall of windows was facing the freeway and mountains to the east, however it looked to me that most of the chairs were facing a wall to the west. What's up with that? I'll find out. Anyway, as to the class, like I said there was a lot of information, some of which was included on handouts specific to my treatment and other stuff that came up as part of the discussion. Won't go into all details of side effects as you my be hearing about them later down the road. I hope not, but let's be realistic here! So, I'm very glad this got recorded; won't post a transcript but recording will be good for me to review later. Also glad for excellent questions from sisters to the nurse. Started off with some general information and then more specifics of my personalized treatment plan. Oh, one of the last side effects discussed is what's more commonly referred to (by those it affects) as "chemo brain" and I'd first read something about it the last few weeks. My first thought was something akin to 'Oh great, now there will be two of us in the house' with cognitive issues. My sisters, upon hearing about this, had a similar reaction. Think I'll be researching ways to lessen this side effect!

Monday's treatment will last about 6 hours, or more, as there are a variety of preliminary drugs with a variety of purposes to be administered prior to the chemo drugs and each (prelim's & chemo) will be done v-e-r-y  s-l-o-w-l-y in order to monitor for allergic reactions, adverse reactions, side effects, etc. so they can turn off or slow down the chemo if needed. How comforting is that?! There's also a list of OTC items to buy for use with some of the side effects that may happen, and prescriptions to pick up from pharmacy. Oh, and I need to bring a lunch. What, they don't provide meals? LOL.

Now to pack a bag with things 'to do' making 6+ hours pass by.
And a lunch.



note:  all comments are moderated and will not show up immediately.

2 comments:

  1. Guess I need to be checking this every day. Missed this one and came in on chemo, day 2. Thanks for keeping us all updated, glad to hear that patient education is a high priority. Here's hoping you can lessen " chemo brain" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I get a post-a-day done; other times (more often) it's multi-posts. So, ya, can't guarantee what's at top of post list is the newest. However, it does keep everyone guessing!

      Delete