Tuesday, August 27, 2013

ChemoDay#1 & #2 - round#2

~~MONDAY~~
Seems like only yesterday I was getting chemo for the first time. How fast 28 days have gone. I don't want this to get routine or normal, but it was like a familiar dance.

First stop was vitals: weight, BP, respiration, oxygen levels. Maybe I am getting used to it as my blood pressure was closer to normal levels today. Each time I come in and the BP reading is so high I tell 'vitals' tech gal that it really is normal readings at home. Says she believes me but I've often wondered. Today, we both celebrated a near normal reading.

From there it was time for visit with C-Dr to review how things have gone the past month. Reported to him what ya'll have read here in regards to side effects and general overall health feelings. (Not sure 'feelings' is the right word but it'll do for now). I did wonder out loud the thoughts going through my head the past few weeks: "is the chemo really working since my body seems to be tolerating it, so far, fairly well." He assured me that as treatments progress along the side effects will be greater. That's progress? Something to look forward to? NOT!

A light seemed to pop on in C-Dr and he asked if I had noticed any improvement in my swallowing. Reminded him I didn't really have any routine, regular, daily problems with swallowing before...and...hey, look at me, I obviously can find a way to eat. Yes, I did say that--with a smile on my face and we both chuckled. However, the lymphoma involvement around my esophagus apparently is significant enough that both C-Dr and Scope-Doc are still amazed I didn't have greater problems. Maybe I'll try and pay more attention to swallowing and see if there is or isn't an improvement as time goes on since the chemo is supposed to be reducing the cancer cells that are constricting my esophagus.

Next was the quick once over palpation check of lymph node areas, heart & lung checks, mouth & throat check, ears check and feet & ankles. Guess I passed because it was then on to the infusion room.

Took a different chair today that was facing the outside window. It was mid-morning and a cloudy day so not too bright with sun. Settled in and soon infusion nurse Lisa was prepping me for the IV connect to my Port. Once that is done then she draws blood for CBC testing (make sure certain elements of my blood are not too low) before infusions can start. Today, however, she apologizes as it will take extra time since their office CBC machine is 'down' and repairman is on his way but until machine is fixed they're sending all blood tests over to the hospital. "Stat" she says is not a word the hospital is reading as all tests are coming back very slowly. Good thing I brought a book to read! Just over an hour later Lisa comes back and says results are back and I'm good to go.

First up, an IV push of the 'dex' which takes less than a minute. Next through the IV is a small bag of Benedryl that takes about 25 minutes to dispense; it's purpose is to prevent, or at least reduce, any allergic reactions to the biggie chemo drugs coming up. The biggest issue with the benedryl is it makes you drowsy so while it's tempting to take a nap my eyes just get a rest every few minutes and then I don't worry about embarrassing myself with a good snoring display.

After the benedryl comes a small bag with the anti-nausea meds. It also takes about 25 minutes to drip down and into my system, but its benefits work for 3 to 5 days. Once that is done then comes the big bag of Rituxan which takes several hours. Because there are some potential reactions during its infusion the nurses start with a slow drip and then slowly increase the rate. About 1/4 or 1/3 of the way through the bag is a very, very mild reaction perhaps with a heart flutter and chill that lasts less than 30 seconds. Similar last month and wondered if it would happen again. Maybe a psychology thing rather than physiology? Always worth a wonder.

Bonus today with east view from chair was the F-something jets (hey, I don't remember the correct F-#'s assigned to the base so I don't even try!) flying on maneuvers and taking off the runway from the Air Force Base. They kept me entertained for almost an hour. Love it.

So I tried to get a picture of the IV pole when it had both small bags and the Rituxan hanging, but chemo nurse pulled a fast one on me and somehow got one of the small bags off without me noticing. Anyway, top bag on right is the Rituxan. Lower bag on left is the saline solution used to flush my Port between drugs. In the background you can see nurse with face mask on. Whenever they are working with any chemo drugs they are in masks, gloves, and disposable gowns to protect themselves from any exposure to the drugs. Hmmm. These are the same drugs running through my veins, my body!!
Also today my sister brought my mother over for a visit. Even though it's marked on calendar that hangs on side of our refrigerator Mom has been asking every day for more than a week when my treatments days were going to be. Her anxiety and repetitiveness has some basis in her dementia so we thought it might ease her mind to see me alive and well sitting in a comfy chair. Don't know if that goal was achieved. Mom (an RN) was mesmerized by the chemo nurse who was doing a phlebotomy on the gal in the chair across from me. (She suffers from too much iron in her blood and the hematologists here have her come in every three months where a pint or more is drawn, and then she gets an IV of saline to replace it.) After a 25 minute or so visit Mom was ready to leave and get lunch. Once they left the nurse and gal in the chair, who'd learned Mom lives with me during the course of our visit, said almost in unison, "With everything, you've got your hands full." Yes, I do.

Once the Rituxan was done then I receive the Bendamustine and that takes about an hour. When that is finished the Port is flushed again with the saline solution. It was decided the IV connect to my Port will remain in place over night so it was padded slightly and taped into place. We'll see how that goes. I'm hoping to save a few dollars for my insurance company.

Out into fresh air by 4:30pm. Yay!


~~TUESDAY~~
Like last month today is a shorter time in the chair, but first a stop for all the 'vitals' check. Blood pressure was a point or two down from yesterdays number. 'Vitals' tech gal and I celebrated. Then off to infusion room and pick my chair for the morning. Here was my view today. The chair you see on the left is where I was yesterday.
First IV bag hung was the benedryl, and 30 minutes later the Bendamustine was started. Things were moving so quickly I didn't get enough time to finish the book I was reading. Once the IV to my Port was removed and covered I was free to leave. Out to the car where I moved to the only remaining shady spot in the several parking lots nearby and spent 20 minutes finishing the book. No, I couldn't wait until I got home. It was that kind of book.



note:  all comments are moderated and will not show up immediately.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. How do I say that I enjoy reading your posts when they are about your cancer? You express yourself so well and with humor. That must be why. :) Still praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "those kind" of books! Thanks for update, have been wondering how things have been going. (((Hug)))

    ReplyDelete