Monday, August 12, 2013

Mid-terms?

No, not this kind:

Or, this kind:



I miss school.
I do, in many ways!
Topic for another time.






Since "nadir" is an obscure word to most people, I've been trying to figure out the best title for today's post. This morning "mid-terms" sounded okay as that is the point school tests were given to determine how you're doing halfway or "mid"way through the term. So "mid-month" seemed more appropriate, but just sounded weird; then an internet search for 'mid-month' images produced zero suitable results. Problem solved.

Today was my post-chemo two-week followup appointment, or "NADIR" appt.  Nadir means the lowest point of anything (I think science-y origin), and in the chemotherapy world refers to when patients blood counts (white & red blood cells, and platelets) are at their lowest during the chemo cycle. It's also two weeks before my next round of chemo; and thus, midway through my term/cycle of chemo. You can read more 'nadir' info here or here or even here if you want.

First stop was to get vitals taken (weight, BP, temperature, oxygen, respiration), along with two vials of blood. Yippee Skippy. Of course for these 'mid'term tests no amount of studying will affect the results.

Next stop was a visit with Nancy, my C-Dr's P.A., to discuss how I was feeling/doing and any side-effects experienced since my chemo 2 weeks ago. Yes, constipation to deal with; Yes, metallic taste of water for several days; and Yes to a weird 'warm ice-water' thing. She seemed as curious as I was about the 'warm ice-water' and then entered it all in my chart. She went on to tell me it could probably be worse as there is another chemo drug with a side effect that literally gives people an electric-type shock whenever they touch anything cold or eat anything cold. Okay, I can deal with 'warm ice-water.'

She also said she usually meets patients on their initial visit with C-Dr but she was out of town that week, so we reviewed my recent medical history: that April discovery of lump-to-current day kind of history. She seemed pleased I did so well on the first day of infusion ("you breezed right through") and didn't suffer too severely from side effects. We both hope that continues but there are no guarantees. Wouldn't it be nice if there were?! Continued to chat while she waited for the CBC (complete blood count) results to be sent to her. Finally the CBC report arrived and I was very curious to see how good or bad it was. I passed! Some counts were down but not so significantly to cause problems. Whew.






note:  all comments are moderated and will not show up immediately.

3 comments: