Monday, November 18, 2013

ChemoDay#1- round#5 *CT scan results*

Today I get the results of the CT scan that was done last week and have been on pins and needles since then (longer actually) anxiously awaiting what the verdict will be. My intuition says things are improved but I don't know by how much and there has always been the niggling thought my optimism might be misplaced.

Fortunately when C-Dr came in the first order of business was the results. He told me he was downloading the scan images on the computer in his office but he also had the written reports in hand. There were two reports from the radiologist: one was the neck scan and the other was the chest scan. The PET/CT scan last June showed a lot of 'activity' at the site of the lymph node surgery which was expected as part of the surgery healing process; but it also showed another lymph node with cancerous cells in it although at the time C-Dr said it was still small enough he wasn't going to worry about it. The new scan indicated no activity and the previously cancerous lymph node appeared to be of normal size, likely due to the chemo killing off those cells. Whew.

Next was the radiologist report of the chest area. I've gotten to know the C-Dr pretty well these past 5 months and as he was reading through the chest data I could sense in his voice and demeanor some hesitation or even disappointment he was trying to disguise. I'm starting to feel not so optimistic. He was tossing out the measurements of the current size of the mass around my esophagus as compared to the PET/CT scan size and saying that it was reduced, but I still felt he was expecting smaller numbers. A short chat about side effects, how I'd felt, etc., since last month's chemo treatment and then a quick exam of my neck. Usually he does an exam of other lymph node areas but not today. My optimism is waning as this seems too rushed for good news. Then it was
off to his office to gaze at the computer monitor where he had the June scan on the left half of the screen and last week's scan downloading on the right side of the screen. I'd barely sat down in a chair when I hear "Oh, this is good! Stupid radiologist." and he starts scrolling through the newer image. Again, I hear, "Yes, this is good." and my anxiety is lessening. It was pretty easy for me to recognize the images and with each scroll of the mouse was another horizontal slice of me on display. He pointed out my spine (I figured that one out easily) and then a black spot that was my esophagus and then a larger dot that was the trachea (esophagus is posterior to the trachea) which then branched off to each lung. Also saw my heart and stomach and lungs. Fascinating, and kinda hard to describe! Anyway, he then shows me the area of concern and we compare the old PET/CT mass to the newer CT mass size. Hey, when even I can see the difference in the two it's a good thing. How much smaller? Visually it looked to me that it was at least half the size it used to be. So, as it turns out the lymphoma mass around my esophagus is smaller than it was, however, >sigh< it's still there. Hopefully two more chemo treatments will continue to get that thing shrunk even more.

C-Dr reminded me the plan has been that after my final chemo treatments in December there would be 'maintenance' treatments every other month for 2 years. However, he did say there would be another PET/CT scan done after the first of the year. Maybe that will alter the plan, I don't know, but after having seen both scans the PET is so much better than the regular CT scan as far as being very definitive with where the cancer cells and activity is so I look forward to that and hopefully continuing good news.


I've tried to find a CT scan image (one of the 'slices') on the internet similar to mine. After spending hours (yes, hours) I finally had to give up. Almost. It may be a disservice to you to even include this one (below) but hopefully it gives you an idea of what I was seeing.
This is NOT MY CTscan.
Used for illustration purpose only.
This is kinda, sorta, possibly, maybe, perhaps, somewhat, close to, but not quite, what I saw. (Does all that clear me of any legal problems?!) Look at the area inside the red line. The black spot on the left is like what I saw, and was my esophagus. On my scans, the area also inside that red line is similar to what the mass around my esophagus looks like although on the first scan it was much larger. Have I muddied the water too much? Anyway, I tried, but know it's a wild shot.

Moving on...

After visit with C-Dr it was normal ChemoDay #1 stuff:
1. Infusion nurse Lisa gets blood collection (from my Port) 2 vials
    (1 immediate checking okay to infuse, 1 for 'clinical' results later)
2. Aloxi (syringe push through IV)
3. Benddryl
4. Dex
5. Rituxan (rapid drip rate again)
6. Bendamustine
7. Heparinized saline
8. saline flush.

After about 5 hours, I'm outta there!


note:  all comments are moderated and will not show up immediately.

2 comments:

  1. Great news! So happy that it's working and you're feeling pretty good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that it's smaller now. So good.

    ReplyDelete